Friday 14 November 2008

Julianne Moore Changes Mind About Cosmetic Surgery

The star of new movie 'Blindness', 47-year old Julianne Moore, has always been outspoken about her negative feelings concerning cosmetic surgery. But recently, it seems the Oscar-nominated actress has had a change of heart.



The actress has been quoted as saying a few years ago, “I would never ever have plastic surgery. We’re all just going way too far. I know it’s a product of the whole celebrity industry, but it’s something I absolutely detest. I want my daughter to see what is real, not what is unachievable and fake.’ The 46 year old actress believes in aging gracefully and that the aging process is a “fact of life.” Moore adds, “I’m a 43-year-old woman, and 43-year-old women have lines. I think imperfections are important, just as mistakes are important. You only get to be good by making mistakes and you only get to be real by being imperfect.”

She also more recently spoke out against Botox, a dermal injectable used to combat wrinkles, saying, “”I don’t know why women do Botox. It doesn’t make them look younger, it just makes them look like they had work done. You are not going to look the same as you did at 25. What are you going to do about it?”

But now, the red-headed vixen is changing her tune in regards to going under the knife, reportedly saying, “I never say never.”

But the newfound open-mindedness came with a caveat, as she is quoted as saying, “The only thing that worries me, the analogy I use is ancient Chinese feet-binding.

At what point did they decide that small feet were more beautiful? People started making them smaller and smaller until they were stumps and not beautiful at all.

I feel we have decided that being expressionless and young looking is the most beautiful thing and, in pursuit of that, it becomes more and more exaggerated and totally obliterates what we look like.”

On his blog, Dr. Anthony Youn writes, “I think the Chinese foot binding analogy goes a bit far. Much of plastic surgery is meant to restore the body to a previous state or remove excess skin that can become both a cosmetic and functional problem, such as tummy tucks and thigh lifts. The aim of good plastic surgery is a natural rejuvenation, not abnormal deformation like in Chinese foot binding.”